We got spirit, yes we do… we got Mojo spirit, how ’bout you?!
In June, Permian’s cheerleading squad finished 11th in the advanced coed varsity division of the National High School Cheerleading Championship at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida. Continue reading “Permian Cheerleaders”
The 2018 Season
Played college football at McMurry University. Began his coaching career in 2002 as a student assistant for the War Hawks. Ellison spent time at Lubbock Estacado, Breckenridge, and Pilot Point. He also served as offensive line coach at GP North Shore for seven years.
Ellison joined the Mojo football coaching staff in 2013.
– Rattling the wooden planks in the bleachers at Barrett Stadium.
– Black/White Game that featured graduating Seniors vs the next year’s team.
– Student Body Right… Student Body Left.
– The guy in the stands with the bugle playing “Charge”.
– Cow bells clanging in the stands.
– Fans staying until the end of the game, even on lopsided games.
– Making opposing Blue-Chip college prospect players look really overrated.
– Going to the state playoffs year-after-year.
– Having one of the smallest teams, with the biggest hearts in the state.
– Halftime adjustment, and dominating the 2nd half with defense.
– Having more fans on our side of the stands than the opposing home team.
– Several motor homes parked at every game we played, home or away.
– 18,000 Permian fans, and the band playing “Hawaii 5-0” in Texas Stadium.
– Kurt Kiser of KOSA-TV saying “and that’s a MOJO touchdown!”.
– Opponents chanting “No Mo Mojo” or “Mojo Who?”.
– Hearing the opponent fans silenced by mid-fourth quarter.
– People asking “What is a MOJO”, just to find out four quarters later.
– Black and White streamers on mile marker signs on every road game.
– Counting how many cars had Mojo on them on the road games.
– Zentner’s Daughter with the crowd before a game in San Angelo.
– K.C. Steak House in Big Spring before the game against the Steers.
– Standing by the Fieldhouse burning an orange candle for the Angelo game.
– 100+ Pepettes wearing their black & white candy striped sweaters.
– Watching a band perform in black and white, including the drum majors.
– Majorettes outfitted in shiny silver, with the knee high boots.
– A massive marching band that stretched from end-to-end of the field.
– The band in the halls of Permian after the pep rally on game day.
– Hearing this thunderous band as it came out of the tunnel at Texas Stadium.
– The Black-N-White Santa outfit worn by the Panther.
– Dr. Rowntree’s black and white Christmas tree.
– Big wooden yard signs in front of the players’ houses, except crosstown week.
– Seeing only Permian signs on the Eastside of Odessa.
– Hearing about the one bad call that cost OHS the game… year-after-year.
– Dr. Rowntree’s back door – medical treatment with no waiting.
ODESSA, TX – The Ector County ISD wasted no time in promoting Jeff Ellison to interim head football coach for the 2018 season. Ellison has been the assistant head coach and offensive line coach the past season. He, along with offensive coordinator Thad Fortune and defensive coordinator Vance Washington, was one of three candidates interviewed for the spot. Continue reading “Ellison Promoted To Lead Panthers”